Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Learning Curve

I know very little about psychology, but bear with me. Basically, the learning curve measures capacity to learn vs. time. A steep learning curve means you can learn a lot quickly. A flat learning curve means it takes you forever to learn very little. Typically, people learn a lot when they are young, when there is the most to be learned. As time passes, they begin to lose interest in learning, or perhaps they simply run out of things to learn. Either way, the curve tends to flatten. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

What I do know is that I am at Bible school because I want to learn. I want to learn as much as possible, and make the most of my time here. I have been guilty of sitting through "boring" classes without even trying to receive from the teacher. While I may have accidentally learned something during one of these classes, I do not recommend this approach. I've been discovering the importance of seeking God in every area of my life, no matter how seemingly insignificant, and I have definitely learned a lot.

I have learned new perspectives and insight into the Bible, but I've also been learning what it means to live for Christ. Living according to scripture can seem overwhelming at times, but Jesus did say his yoke is easy, and I've found it always pays off. As I've sought to keep an open mind and an open heart, I've realized a lot of things in my life that could be improved. I've been taken out of my comfort zone and challenged in ways that made my pride and arrogance come right to the surface. Through all this I have been learning patience, perseverance, and humility. It isn't always easy, but I am so grateful.

A change of direction and a quick note about myself: I question everything. Coming to Tulsa and encountering new doctrine and theology has not been easy. I came to Tulsa with lots of questions, and now I have even more. I will continue to seek the answers, but I recently received some good advice. Rather than focusing completely on the things I don't understand, why not pour all my energy into living out what I do understand? I have become a very proficient skeptic, but have I grown in my love for others? I know that love is the most important thing I will ever know, so why does it take a backseat to these less significant questions? Like I said, I'm learning.

I have spent too much of my life sitting on the comfortable complacency of the flat curve. I want to be climbing up the steepest part of the curve, reaching for new levels of knowledge and growth. I want to know that I am making the most of my life, my gifts, my opportunities. So that's what I'm going to do.

"Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up."
-1 Corinthians 8:1

3 comments:

skim said...

holy moly friend, first of all, i know i should be sleeping so i can keep studying for finals tomorrow but instead i thought it would be fun to procrastinate by reading this entry. i'm glad i did...because this:

"Rather than focusing completely on the things I don't understand, why not pour all my energy into living out what I do understand? I have become a very proficient skeptic, but have I grown in my love for others?"

was exactly what i needed to hear right now. i've been struggling to find that balance when i get so overloaded with my questions and doubts. but you're right. love first.

thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love you and am proud of you

wendy said...

i'm with mayo :)