Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Perspective

I have always been a fan of New Years resolutions, and while I have plenty lined up for 2009, they have recently become lesser priorities. I like to set measurable goals for myself, with the noble intention of improving as a person, and more importantly, growing closer to God. In the process of pursuing these goals, however, I’ve found it far too easy to get caught up with the less significant objectives, while losing focus on God. I strive to learn more about the Bible, but am I becoming more like Christ, or merely becoming more qualified to boast in my knowledge? I struggle to empty my mind of impurity, but do I remember to fill it with things that are excellent and praiseworthy? I seek daily time with God, but do I treasure these times, or am I just avoiding the familiar shame of complacency? This year I am still resolving to change, but with a new perspective.

This new perspective has been fueled by my recent review of CS Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. Throughout this series, we see time and again the sad reality that not everyone will believe, or choose to live for the truth. The courage of the children in each of the stories in the face of opposition is inspiring. They (usually) have a better grasp than most of the significance of their cause, and refuse to compromise because they know there is nothing more important. Do I fail to share their passion because I don’t live in a fantasy world? Or perhaps I have spent too long in our society’s fantasy world, and let my passion slip away. Who am I letting dictate my priorities? I am convinced that if I truly believe what the Bible says, then it will radically change the way I live. My priorities will be aligned with God’s priorities, and whatever desires I have apart from that will seem much less important. If there is anything holding me back from living the only life that I know I was created to live, then it only makes sense that I will do whatever it takes to throw off those hindrances. I am sick of justifying mediocrity in my life. I want to turn my eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face, and allow the things of earth to grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Excellent insights and a challenge to me as the New Year begins. Last week we saw Prince Caspian and it really was inspiring to see - as you said - the children's courage and how they acted knowing the significance of their cause. I join you in the desire you expressed at the end of your entry and look forward to singing and re-affirming it together this weekend.

wendy said...

I too want to grow in keeping God as my focus, becoming more like Christ, consistently filling my mind with things that are excellent and praiseworthy, not settling for mediocrity. I'll be praying for you bud, will you pray for me too? love you!!!