Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reflection

As I look back on the past 9 months of my life, I have so much to be thankful for. The memories and friends I've made this year will last a lifetime, and the growth I've experienced this year has set me up for a lifetime of continued growth. While it's hard to process all that I've learned and done this year, it seems necessary to at least review some highlights. In no particular order, here they are:

1) Friends: It might be more fitting to say family. Living with 40 people for 9 months, and doing virtually everything together, builds strong bonds. The 13 other guys in the programs are like brothers to me, and I know at least a few of them will be lifelong friends. Even beyond the IMT program, so many people invested time and energy into my life, and I can't imagine life without these relationships. I am excited to continue these friendships long past any physical connections with Tulsa.

2) Outreaches: Traveling is one of the coolest opportunities in IMT. This year I visited churches and outreach centers in Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, California, Maryland, and Mexico. I've volunteered, and even slept in homeless shelters. I've done drama presentations of the Gospel for people who speak English, and people who don't. I've built relationships with high school students and seen them grow in their passion for God. Something I've experienced a lot in my life, and especially this year, is the privilege of worshipping with different bodies of believers. I find it beautiful to see how God can be glorified through many different traditions and approaches. Getting out of Tulsa has certainly helped me keep God out of any sort of box.

3) VBI: I have never been a fan of school, but somehow this year was different, with the focus less on academics, and more on spiritual growth. All my time in class and studying has produced visible growth in my life. I may not have found the answers to all my questions, but I have found peace and direction for my life. Getting my focus on the Lord has changed my perspective on life in such a refreshing way, and I know as I continue to build my life on the foundation of the Word of God, I will continue to prosper.

4) Personal Growth: Everything about this past year has had its part in my personal growth, but I feel my growth is significant enough to warrant its own bullet. Beyond any practical or spiritual lessons learned this year, I feel like the truth has really taken root in my heart. I have always had all the right answers, but I believe now I can let my life do the talking. God has blessed me so much this year, and I am excited for the privilege to serve Him with all that I have.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your financial support, your prayers, and your friendship. As I head off to work at Deerfoot Lodge for the summer, you will all be in my prayers. Perhaps I will find time to update this blog again when I am back in Maryland in the Fall. Until then, God Bless!

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"
-Philippians 4:4

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicholas,
I am SO proud of you and SO thankful to God for the work He has done and is doing in you!!!!!! I am more and more convinced that unless our relationship with the Lord is right, nothing, absolutely nothing, really matters and nothing else in our life will be "right". I pray that your cousins will be impacted by His good work in you!
Love,
Uncle Mark

wendy said...

ditto what uncle mark said :) love you big guy!!

Unknown said...

nick lane. you're awesome. I'm glad I know you.